Saturday, January 21, 2006

Toronto Maple Laffs

It's getting almost funny. The Senators thrashed the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Corel Centre, pardon me, the Scotiabank Centre (or is it Place?) in Ottawa tonight.

The score was 7-0. In many ways, that's better than the 8-2 score of December 17th.

It would have been about 15-0 tonight without Ed Belfour. Leaf fans will probably whine along the lines that they were missing Eric Lindros, Bryan McCabe, etc. I saw Tie Domi was playing... was Darcy Tucker there? Who cares? Unless the Leafs are playing possum to lull the Senators into overconfidence for the playoffs, it will be absolutely no contest this year. That's If the Leafs make the playoffs at all, as they cling to 8th place in the Eastern Conference. I note also that there are various factors which remove some of the doubt. First of all, the Senators have a world class goalie now in Dominik Hasek. If Belfour is standing on his head to keep the Leafs going in the playoffs, Hasek will stand on his head AND flail his legs around to keep the puck out for the Senators. I never really like hasek, because, long ago, _he_ thwarted the Senators, as the Senators began to become a playoff team. Hasek and Mike Peca, who at least was an Ottawa 67s product. But I digress. New element one: world class playoff goalie. New element two: new NHL rules. If these rules are effectively sustained in the playoffs, and I believe that they will be, the Senators youth and speed and offensive talent will carry the day over the rickety old Leafs any day. New element three: different Senators chemistry. There is hunger and toughness, and the robotic discipline of Jacques Martin (who was a good coach, but not quite right for the offense of the Sens) is removed. Don't get me wrong, I loved Hossa, he was no Yashin, but Dany Heatley rocks. And I love those comeback stories. Wade Redden and Chris Phillips have matured now into great veteran defensemen in their late 20s, and Zdeno Chara is a true giant force. Jason Spezza is a tremendous young talent who dominated the AHL last year and is certainly showing a fine dominance this year, combining with Heatley and captain Daniel Alfredsson to form one of the finest lines in the league.

So all I can hope for out here is that the Calgary Flames emerge from the Western division, for a Senators vs. Flames Stanley Cup final. That would make me a happy Ottawan in Calgary. [I would also be okay with any of the Canucks, Oilers, or Red Wings matching up with the Ottawa Senators for the Cup, too]

Alright, gotta go. I have a lot to accomplish tomorrow before I travel up to Inuvik early Tuesday morning.

2 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger James Bowie said...

place

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger New King of Kensington said...

Bowie, I appreciate the feedback but I think it was a pretty weak way to get your little Queens Park model Parliament mug shot onto my blog! Do you not have something of substance to add? How about mocking the Laffs for now having lost 8 in a row?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home