Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sunday Blog Bits (2) Ottawa Senators

They're not looking consistent yet, I will admit that, but, I have to say, they are looking a lot better after two solid victories, one in Buffalo, and one in Ottawa, over the Buffalo Sabres, a high-flying, well-coached, disciplined, modern young NHL team if ever there was one (not sure about the new uniforms, but am enjoying the blue/yellow throwbacks) Both Sens wins were based on superior performance and hard play in the third period. This is what fans like to see.

In between those wins, though, there was a defeat at the hands of the New Jersey Devils. I also note again, though, while reading the game recap, that the Senators put up a very strong third period and showed some strength and character in breaking up yet another potential Martin Brodeur shutout. I wrote once before that the Devils are a painfully consistent, disciplined team, capable of tight checking and high speed performance in the new NHL. So long as they have Brodeur, they will continue to be a force. I figure the Devils were hungry to avenge an uncharacteristically bad drubbing at the hands of the Senators about one month ago.

I think it continues to be a challenge for the Senators to gel. While not pointing at the goalies directly (not my intent) there is still a different degree of comfort (lack thereof) with Martin Gerber and Ray Emery. It seems to me that the defense pairs are not all gelled yet either. It was inevitable that the Senators would feel the loss of big Zdeno Chara on 'D' and the injuries to Wade Redden have not helped either. It will come.

I don't mind if the Senators have to kick and claw their way back into the zone, into contention, and even into the playoffs. It will be good for them.

Go Sens Go.

In other good news, I would like to tip my hat to those New Jersey Devils for one other reason. Cheers, Devils.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home