Friday, December 01, 2006

Why I supported Gerard Kennedy (and a few other notes)

5:40 PM (MT) - Calgary
7:40 PM (ET) - Montreal / Liberal Leadership Convention at Palais des Congres.

Gerard Kennedy's podium speech is underway after a very slick video and nice intro by Justin Trudeau.

Now is a good time to reveal to anyone who cares that this is who I voted for back in September.

(I know there are about 10 of you kicking around out there)

I voted, in Calgary North Centre, for Gerard Kennedy, empowered a few of his noted delegates, and then distributed the rest of my delegate selections among various other camps to keep it interesting, including one for Ignatieff (who took time on a busy selection day to have a very good 10 minute conversation with me and showed me he was dedicated to his party and cause)

Kennedy gave Calgary got props in the speech.
I noticed Brison did it also.
Good for both Kennedy and Brison.



A bunch of good reasons to think of Kennedy:

1. credible Western roots, born in Manitoba, University in Alberta.

2. Acadian wife

3. 10 or so years of Ontario Liberal credibility and social activist credibility in Toronto.

4. Improving French

5. Tangible Charisma. Kennedy has always commanded loyalty.

6. Known Liberal Record (Ontario Liberal Party) 1996-2006. (That's more credible Liberal experience than Ignatieff and Bob Rae put together, though I am definitely not dismissing these two good men completely and randomly)

7. Cabinet Experience at Provincial level (that's more Cabinet experience than Michael Ignatieff)

8. Strong network in Ontario composed of his OLP Leadership supporters (1996) and an army of activist, passionate, ideological Teachers throughout Ontario and possibly beyond

9. Knows how to fight ideological neo-con knobs like John Baird, Jim Flaherty, and Tony Clement

10. Will easily win back Parkdale -- High Park from NDP MP Peggy Nash, which is a direct Liberal gain, as either Leader or very well-positioned federal Liberal who obviously will end up as Cabinet material regardless of whether he wins or loses the Liberal Leadership this weekend.

11. Excellent last name for progressive politics and inspiration

12. Interesting 'Jesus Jones' song selection... kinda cool 90s old school.


TEXT OF A NOTE I SENT TO ORGANIZERS OF A KENNEDY FUNDRAISER IN CALGARY
(one of just two in-person events I manged to attend out here)


[RECIPIENT NAME DELETED]

Hello. My name is Andrew Cameron. Quite new to
Calgary. Moved here last fall from Ottawa for [a good new job opportunity]

I was a very active Liberal in Ottawa for the Liberal Party of Canada and also for
the Ontario Liberal Party from 1996 [right up until] I left in mid-October 2005.

I campaigned extensively for LPC in 1997, 2000, and 2004 and for the Ontario Liberal Party in 1999 and 2003, and have participated as a delegate in many conventions and provincial council meetings, and involvement large and small in a few nomination campaigns. I even worked for a time at the LPC national office. I put Liberal signs in my apartment window in Calgary Centre North during the past campaign.

I paid ten dollars electronically for a 206 LPCA membership with the intention of at least voting for the next Leader, however, looking at my schedule, I am
likely to be in the Northwest Territories for the weekends of both delegate voting in late September and also in Inuvik during the actual Montreal Leadership
convention weekend. Unfortunate timing.

[It turns out I was able to vote at delegate selection, and I am in Calgary now, not Inuvik, but, it would have been impossible to organize and be able to get to Montreal for a full-scale convention participation. If I did, I would stop in at the Jello Bar.]

However, I am hopeful that I may be able to take the
opportunity to wish good candidates well and to listen
to them describing their ideas.

So, I am asking your permission to drop in on the
fundraising event in downtown Calgary on Monday.

However, I do not intend to donate to Gerard or to
other candidates. As noted, my own work schedule
makes it look like I won't even be voting for any one
candidate after all.

All that said, I would like to have the opportunity to
give Gerard Kennedy some good wishes of support in his
LPC Leadership effort. [cut]

My main riding of activity in Ottawa was Ottawa South.
That's the riding represented by Ontario Premier
Dalton McGuinty [who defeated Kennedy on the last
ballot to become OLP Leader in 1996]

That said, Gerard was an awesome team player in OLP and his move
to leave the Ontario Cabinet to throw into a wide-open
heavy field federal Liberal Leadership race, and to help represent
the west a little bit (as well as being another urban
Toronto candidate) is a bold one, potentially quite a
sacrifice.

Education, of course, was a huge battleground in Ontario and my Mom is an Ontario
public teacher; Gerard Kennedy has accomplished much to make things better for my Mom and for students and parents in Ontario. Good for him.

Gerard also worked hard to strengthen OLP after its 1999 defeat and help
McGuinty and team to victory in Ontario in 2003.

For all of these reasons, I certainly want to wish him
well in his bold federal move.

[cut]

Thank you for your attention and good luck to you and
your Calgary Kennedy campaign colleagues. Minimally,
if I can't drop in, please take a moment to print
these wishes out and forward them to Gerard Kennedy if
possible.

Thank you and kindest personal regards,


Andrew Cameron

[end of insert]


Other sidenotes: Kennedy's speech was excellent. I missed Dion's, it seems. (I had to walk home from work.) I heard most of Dryden's (and liked his video, too) I ignored Volpe's, but was pleased to learn how feeble his delegate turnout was.

I hugely enjoyed Jean Chretien's news scrum today and I am looking forward to seeing him on a podium at this convention. I miss da liddle guy and always believed in him.

New stuff: I am watching Bob Rae's intro video. I am indeed impressed by the array of endorsements around him, and his demonstration of Ontario capacity. Rae is the other event I attended out here. I even gave him a mercy vote in 1995. Maybe, just maybe, I was 11 years ahead of many Liberals on this man's pragmatic and progressive intellectual leadership. Sidenote two: Richard Mahoney was in there, and so was Mike Robinson. This is a strong tandem and complement to John Rae and Eddie Goldenberg, no? Impressive, and at least as good as Dion's Martin/Chretien bridge. Rae's ability to speak intelligently, seemingly without notes or anything, is most impressive.

END FOR NOW, surely more later.

And, while I am at it, I have to say, too, Stephane Dion almost got my vote, too, even though I didn't get a chance to see him in Calgary. (He was here, but I could not be) His class and federal Cabinet record are also very worthy.

Things bode well for the Liberal Party of Canada if these Leadership candidates and all Party members can pull together at the end of this thing. This team has experience and intellectual firepower like I have not seen yet in my time. And let's not forget fine ex-Ministers and intellects also in the wings, such as Bill Graham, Irwin Cotler, David McGuinty, and a fine roster of others.

This Calgary Liberal is excited about the renewal ahead.

Send some feedback in, I'll be watching and reading all weekend.

a_s_cameron@hotmail.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home