Monday, February 13, 2006

Politics has lots of surprises, but the fourth estate rarely changes

Er, I wrote:

"First of all: David Emerson. Good for him for recognizing that at 60 he is "too old" I am not taking the ageist perspective at all. I also remember that Mr. Emerson just arrived to politics in the 2004 election, though his private sector credentials are important. He will be an important backer in British Columbia for some candidate."

or not.

I guess this shows once again why politics is a bloodsport. A game where a week is a life. [insert your cliche here]

One thing that is not a cliche: the media will build you up and then gleefully tear you down if it makes a good story. Ask Paul Martin. Ask John Turner. Ask Kim Campbell. Now, ask Stephen Harper.

I'm not saying that after the Emerson/Fortier [and Gordon O'Connor] moves that Harper doesn't _deserve_ to be taken down quite a few pegs... I am saying that the media modus operandi is not likely to change much. In fact, it can always get worse.

Well, to my (very small) group of readers: have a great week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home